Osteoporosis is a disease which revolves around the density of the bones in our bodies. Bones should be healthy and dense, however in individuals who have osteoporosis, their bones are more fragile and less dense, and due to this have a higher risk of fractures. Many individuals often do not realize that they may have osteoporosis as you cannot feel whether or not your bones are weakening until bones are broken, which is typically the first sign of osteoporosis.
Symptoms of Osteoporosis
- No symptoms in the early stages of bone loss.
- Decrease in height.
- Bone fractures becoming more prevalent than usual.
Causes of Osteoporosis
- An increase in age - as an individual ages, bone mass is lost faster than it is produced.
- Sex - osteoporosis is more prevalent in women than men.
- Body size - smaller body frames typically have less bone mass.
Treatment of Osteoporosis
Osteoporosis can get progressively worse if untreated, it is important to treat it via:
- A lifestyle change (consult a doctor).
- Medication (consult a doctor).
Some preventative measures include:
- Avoid gastrointestinal surgery.
- Maintain an avid calcium intake.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Ensure a high bone mass in youth.
- This can be done by:
- Eating enough nutrients.
- Regular physical activity.
If you suffer from osteoporosis and want a natural approach to health, we can help. Our Mississauga clinics have an approach to better health.