Morning sickness is the toughest part of early pregnancy. If you are suffering from nausea, vomiting, or both, you need safe measures that will bring you some relief. Your best course of action for managing morning sickness is home treatment. By following a few proven guidelines, you are likely to gain significant relief from nausea and vomiting.
Symptoms of Morning Sickness/Nausea
- Feeling tired frequently.
- Urinating small amounts.
- Dark color urine.
- Dizziness when standing up.
- Vomiting blood.
- Difficulty keeping liquids down.
Causes of Morning Sickness/Nausea
- The exact causes are still unknown.
- Most agree that it is due to hormonal changes in the body (estrogen, progesterone levels).
Home Treatments of Morning Sickness/Nausea
Morning sickness can get progressively worse if untreated, it is important to treat it via:
- Changing what, when, and how much you eat.Taking ginger, vitamin B6, or vitamin B12, which are known to reduce nausea and/or vomiting during pregnancy.
- Avoiding foods and smells that make you feel sick.
- Trying acupuncture, which seems to work for some women.
Preventing Morning Sickness/Nausea
Some preventative measures include:
- Ensure you do not have an empty stomach throughout the day.
- Make sure you are eating sufficient calories throughout the day.
- Stay hydrated.
If you have severe, persistent nausea and vomiting, see your doctor or nurse-midwife immediately. This uncommon complication of pregnancy can lead to dehydration and malnutrition, sometimes requiring prescribed medicine or hospitalization. If you experience morning sickness and would like to take a natural approach to health, we can help. Our Mississauga clinics have an approach to better health.