Uterine fibroids or "myomas" are non-cancerous growths composed of muscle and fibrous tissue that occur on, inside or outside the uterus wall. At least 20 percent of women over the age of 35 have fibroids ranging in size from microscopic to as large as a cantaloupe, and their cause is unknown. More than 200,000 hysterectomies are performed each year because of fibroid tumors.
Fibroids are unusual in that even large fibroids may produce no symptoms. It depends on their location, size, number and activity.
Symptoms of Uterine Fibroids
- Heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding.
- Difficulty emptying bladder.
- Spotting in between periods.
- Pain, pressure, heaviness.
- Urinating frequently.
- Larger fibroids can be felt in the lower abdomen.
Causes of Uterine Fibroids
- Imbalance of hormones due to estrogen and progesterone.
- Genetic changes that fibroids cause in the body.
Treatment of Uterine Fibroids
Uterine fibroids can get progressively worse if untreated, it is important to treat it via:
- MRI-guided focused ultrasound surgery (FUS) (consult a doctor before taking).
- If fibroids are 2 cm or smaller, acupuncture can be a viable solution; if they are larger than 2 cm, herbal medicine may be more appropriate.
- Abdominal myomectomy.
Preventing Uterine Fibroids
Some preventative measures include:
- Avoid too much caffeine
- Avoid too much alcohol
- Avoid high fat and processed meat
- Avoid refined sugar
- Avoid refined carbohydrates
- Ensure you have a high iron diet
If you suffer from uterine fibroids and want a natural approach to health, we can help. Our Mississauga clinics have an approach to better health.