How Neck and Shoulder Pain Occur
Your neck is the most vulnerable part of your spine. Not only does it support your 10-12 pound head, maintain a gentle forward curve, and permit head rotation, but it must also allow the free flow of nerve impulses to the head, face, hands and the rest of your body. Besides discomfort and annoyance, chronic neck pain is a sign that something is wrong.
Most of the pain-sensing nerves in the neck are located in the pairs of facet joints on the back side of each vertebra. The smooth, interlocking surfaces allow you to rotate your head and bend your head up and down. If these joints become locked or fixated, neck pain can result. Chiropractic can help restore proper joint motion.
A more difficult problem to correct is the degenerative changes that result from neglect. Years of uncorrected spinal problems can cause bone spurs, disc thinning and other forms of spinal decay. Your problems respond more slowly, and some type of on-going supportive chiropractic may be necessary.
Effects of Neck and Shoulder Pain
Any injury related to the upper half of the body could be life threatening, it is crucial to seek a health care provider as soon as possible before symptoms progress. Some symptoms of neck and shoulder injuries include, but are not limited to:
- Broken Bones (e.g. Clavicle, Scapula).
- Difficulty with Vision.
- Aching Pain.
- Strained or Sprained Muscles.
Treatment of Neck and Shoulder Pain
Pending on the neck and shoulder injury, there are many approaches one can take to heal. It is important to consult a professional to assess the possible options one can take. Some options are:
- Acupuncture - Promote blood flow and relax the body.
- Massage Therapy - Decrease the pain and release the tension in the muscles.
- Physiotherapy - Promote movement in the areas of pain.
- Chiropractic Rehabilitation - Help assess if there are any spinal injuries and promote movement in the body.
- Medication (consult a doctor).
- Immobilization - Preventing the neck from moving and to promote healing.
- Surgery - Pending on the severity of the injury, there are different options.
If you suffer from neck and shoulder pain due to an automobile incident and want a natural approach to health, we can help. Our Mississauga clinics have an approach to better health.