A rotator cuff tear occurs when one or more of the four rotator cuff muscles (supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor, subscapularis) is/are torn. This leads to an immediate sense of weakness in the shoulder region.
Symptoms of Rotator Cuff Tears
The most common symptoms of a partial tear are:
- Pain when moving your arm, especially against resistance.
- Weakness in your shoulder, although some people don't notice any weakness.
Symptoms of a sudden, severe (acute) tear include:
- A popping sound or tearing sensation in your shoulder.
- Immediate pain in your shoulder.
- Weakness when lifting or rotating your arm.
- Limited range of motion and inability to raise your arm because of pain or weakness.
- A crackling sound in the shoulder when it is moved.
- Possibly, bruising in your shoulder or upper arm.
Causes of Rotator Cuff Tears
- Can be caused by falling on to the floor.
- Normal age related wear and tear and degeneration of the tendon.
Treatment of Rotator Cuff Tears
Rotator cuff tears can get progressively worse if untreated, it is important to treat it via:
- MRI or ultrasound for diagnostics.
- Rest the injured rotator cuff.
- Apply ice to the injured area.
- Physical Therapy for the injured rotator cuff.
- Massage therapy.
- Chiropractic rehabilitation.
Our sports and injury therapy can include:
- Reduce swelling by devices or taping techniques.
- Use ultrasound or laser treatment to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Promote healing and circulation in the injured tissues.
- Use cross friction massage to promote healing and reduce scar tissue development.
- Teaching you proper exercises to quicken the healing process.
Preventing Rotator Cuff Tears
Some preventative measures include:
- Regularly exercise the rotator cuff.
- Maintain rotator cuff range of motion.
- Maintain good posture.
- Maintain rotator cuff strength.
- Avoid falling.
If you experience any rotator cuff injuries and would like to take a natural approach to health, we can help. Our clinic has an approach to better health at the Mississauga therapy clinics.