Neck pain is a common complaint which will probably affect everyone at some point in their life. It is however, usually short-lived, lasting for just a few days at a time. More often than not a stiff neck is caused by muscular tightness. A muscle in the neck may have been strained (pulled/torn) or have gone into spasm. Levator scapulae is a common culprit.
Symptoms of Neck Pain
Symptoms of foot and ankle osteoarthritis often include the following:
- Decrease in range of motion.
- Pain may radiate down into the back or down the arms.
Causes of Neck Pain
Some causes of arthritis include, but are not limited to:
- Poor posture.
- Repetitive neck movements.
- Unusual neck positions (especially when sleeping).
- Sports activities.
- Lifting weights.
Treatment of Neck Pain
Neck pain can get progressively worse if untreated, it is important to treat it via:
- Rest from any activity that may have caused it.
- Gently stretch the neck muscles.
- Apply an ice pack (within the first 48 hours of acute pain).
- Massage therapy is usually very effective in relaxing the muscles.
- Chiropractic rehabilitation.
- Heat therapy.
- Cold therapy.
Preventing Neck Pain
Some preventative measures include:
- Maintain a good posture.
- Do not overexert your body.
- When you are feeling pain, take a break.
- Ensure a proper warmup and cooldown.
- Stop smoking.
- Stay hydrated.
- Exercise regularly.
If you suffer from neck pain and want a natural approach to health, we can help. Our Mississauga clinics have an approach to better health.