Migraines and other types of headache -- such as tension headache and sinus headache -- are painful and can rob you of quality of life. Migraine symptoms include a pounding headache, nausea, vomiting, and light sensitivity. Headache remedies include various types of pain relievers. Migraine treatments may also include antinausea drugs and medications to prevent or stop headaches.
What is the difference between a migraine and a regular headache?
Migraine headaches are usually severe and sharp, throbbing in nature, and generally affect one side of the head.
Tension headaches tend to occur frequently, last a long time and are characterized by a dull, steady pain that feels like a band of pressure around the neck. But despite these differences they are closely related. Chiropractic care has been proven to be extremely effective in treating migraine and tension headaches as well as neck pain and stiffness.
Episodic Tension Headaches (occurs less than 15 days per month)
- Pain is mild to moderate, constant band-like pain, pressure or throbbing
- Pain affects the front, top or sides of the head.
- Pain usually begins gradually, and often occurs in the middle of the day
- Pain may last from 30 minutes to several days
Chronic Tension Headaches (occurs more than 15 days per month)
- Pain may vary in intensity throughout the day, but the pain is almost always present
- Pain affects the front, top or sides of the head
- Pain comes and goes over a prolonged period of time
Associated Symptoms of Tension Headaches include:
- Heache upon awakening
- Difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep
- Chronic fatigue
- Disturbed concentration
- Mild sensitivity to light or noise
- General muscle aching
If you experience heaches or migraines and would like to take a natural approach to health, we can help. Our mississauga acupuncture clinic has an approach to better health.