A bunion (hallux valgus) is an enlargement of bone or tissue around the joint at the base of the big toe. Treatment options for bunions include arch supports, custom-made orthotics, and custom-made shoes. All of these temporarily change the way the bones, muscles, and ligaments of the foot work together. They will not cure the bunion, but they may help relieve some structural problems that are contributing to it by:
- Preventing too much rolling inward of the foot (excessive pronation) during walking or running. Excessive foot pronation has been linked to bunion formation.
- Helping keep the toe joint in a more normal alignment and controlling the shortening of ligaments and other tissues that may be pulling the joint out of alignment.
- Reducing pressure on the big toe joint.
Orthotics and custom-made shoes are available with a prescription and are professionally fitted to your foot.
Symptoms of Bunions
It is important to seek a healthcare provider if you have any of these following symptoms:
- Swelling near the big toe.
- Calluses or corns near the big toe.
- Pain radiating from the big toe.
- Decrease in movement for the big toe.
Causes of Bunions
Some causes of bunions include:
- Injuries of the foot.
- Deformities at birth.
Treatment of Bunions
Bunions can get progressively worse if untreated, it is important to treat them via:
- Massage therapy.
- Chiropractic Rehabilitation.
- Arch supports.
- Custom-made orthotics.
- Custom-made shoes.
Some preventative measures include:
- Wearing shoes that have avid room for the big toe.
- Wearing arch supports.
- Wearing custom-made orthotics.
- Wearing custom-made shoes.
If you experience bunions and would like to take a natural approach to health, we can help. Our Mississauga clinics have an approach to better health.